Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Mantle 2012


 Well, I finally brought all the fall down from the mantle...it was a little sad...but I threw on some Christmas tunes and went to work. I stripped the mantle completely down to the mirror. I keep thinking I'm going to try my Mom's mirror over the mantle for a change but I just love the round one so much, I never do.

 Since I'm trying to keep it plain and simple, this is what I came up with. The rustic lanterns (you might remember seeing one of these in THIS tablescape) are one of my favorite elements. As soon as I saw them, I knew I wanted them for my Christmas mantle...and lanterns just say comfy-cozy to me.

 I haven't even started on the tree yet, in fact I'm not even going to talk about the tree yet....we'll talk about that as soon as I get it decorated.
 Do you remember when Justin made my 'Fall' letters? See the tutorial HERE. He made me a 'Noel' while he was at it...well, he made an N, E and L and I thought it would be rather fun to come up with an abstract O. I tried a few things before I remembered this tree topper, a moss ball, one of the twig balls...but I thought the more light the better.
 For the arrangement, which is my favorite element, I used the vase that I recently sprayed black (I used it last for Halloween, take a look HERE). You might not think of black with Christmas, but I thought it was ok with the room as a whole. Branches and long needle pine with some snowy branches to tie in the white.
 Inexpensive snowflake garland hung across the face of the fireplace.
 Egads, it looks a little Vanilla...but decorating the tree will help bring in some color.
 I'm sure I'll do some tweaking as I get further along.

 It is a lot different from last year's mantle, no ladders involved or massive swag over the mirror....but I do like it.
 Evening shots:

 See? Doesn't it just make you feel warm and fuzzy? :)

 I hope you are inspired!
Joining Layla

***
Thank you for all your love and support in my last post, I really can't express how much your words encourage me and help me keep moving forward! I'm so glad I'm not alone.
2011-12-013

27 comments:

  1. Michelle, it's beautiful! You did a fabulous job. I don't think it's vanilla at all - I think it's very calming and warm. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. michelle - love the night shots....simple and yet so elegant. so many going simple this year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your mantel! I think it is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Michelle

    This is gorgeous! Tweaking I don't need it, it looks elegant and not over the top! Love!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle that is beautiful mantel. I miss not having a fireplace to decorate. My tree has been up since Thanksgiving with just lights I hope to dress it up today. Today is the first day that I feel better after my sweet grand babies shared their colds with me. I hope you are doing well. Sending prays and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job on your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really beautiful. I'm so glad I've recently discovered your blog. You have a special touch...a gift. Being able to walk into a room and immediately feel a touch of "glad" is such a blessing, and I hope these uphill days have many such moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where DO you get your inspiration from? I just can't seem to get my act together!

    Gloria in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantel is so pretty as always! Love to see that you created the "Noel" letters after seeing your fall mantel. I love the "vanilla"... so simple and elegant! The snowflake garland adds some shimmer and sparkle!! Beautiful just as is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just needed to voice my opinion - Vanilla is always my favorite! Your mantle looks beautiful and I have to agree with you about the lanterns; warm, fuzzy and wonderful! I have been having some similar moments this season, just trying to be intentional and purposeful in my living and being. My husband, my high school sweetie, will turn 40 and our son will turn 7 this month and I wonder where the time has gone. My Dad, who has been my lifetime coach and hero, is suddenly lost in a deep mental illness that has turned our family inside out. With so much on my mind lately, I question if I'm living in the moment as I should? Thank you for the reminder to slow it down and really take it all in. I'm praying for you day by day......health, peace, comfort, love and happiness. Much love to you, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so elegant it takes my breath away...you are just so good at what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elegant and beautiful! Simplicity is always best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A white simple, woodland Christmas has been calling me too! Your 2012 mantle display is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great mantle Michelle, I love how you mixed different textiles together it really looks great! Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, this is absolutely gorgeous! I love the simplicity of the nature inspired elements. So much prettier than lots of store bought baubles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle, thank you for sharing this - it is just so beautiful. I love everything about it - every little detail adds something special. I even love the little "lambie" (my son had one of these as a baby and that's what he called it..." on your leather chair. I swore I was going to go with naturals this year as I find that the more time I spend in blog land, the more drawn I am to that look, but unfortunately, I fell off the wagon and ended up with my traditional reds & greens. Maybe next year! 'Hope you are feeling well!

    Kaille

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mantel looks very elegant. I do like it and think your ideas turned the room into an area you will want to spend time with family sipping on Hot Chocolate or Spicy Apple or maybe Eggnog (matches the room).
    Things are stressful for us at the moment and tomorrow is St. Nicholas feastday and I am trying to get together some gift items to take to my six little great-grandchildren as that is the day I like to give them something and not on the day of Christ's birth as it is His feastday; not ours. I am giving cups/saucers/teabag for each of the girls and a game for the oldest boy. Each will also receive a fresh red apple as well. We will share 'tea and a treat together' at my dear granddaugter-in-law and her mother may be there as well. My dear one is in hospital.
    Joyfully,
    Sylvia Faye

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always look forward to your mantels...they are always my favorite over any others I see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always create the most beautiful mantelscapes, Michelle, with this year's holiday mantel being no exception! I love all of the elements you used ... the black vase works beautifully, and the lanterns are fabulous! Thanks for sharing ... Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mantel is so pretty Michelle. I love the lanterns and all the sparkle of the garland.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Michelle: You have such a way with setting vignettes up. The mantle is spectacular. Just the right touch, just enough and not too much..Thanks for sharing..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are you kidding vanilla? Its perfect I want to take mine down now and try and duplicate yours. GORGEOUS.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mantel is gorgeous. We recently put a round mirror above our mantel and I had a hard time deciding how to decorate around it. I love how yours came out!
    Cheers! - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice blog... thanks for sharing with us..

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle